This month has been super busy work wise and I haven managed to do any sewing for myself, just a little knitting in the evenings. With the first huge project this year I have used 2 downloadable PDF patterns from Black Snail Patterns, I don't usually make up PDF's as a rule, but these shapes were perfect starting point shape wise. They worked out in the end, although I did give up on the instructions completely with one pattern - sometimes things just get lost in translation. I also choose 2 other pattern companies I have never used before, Folkwear and Sense & Sensibility I bought via a brilliant pattern company called Habithat. These patterns were brilliant and thoroughly recommend them, below are 2 sneak peeks of a s&s blouse and a hack of a Folkwear during construction.
I've had to do a lot of research for this project and dived into Downton Abbey on DVD as well as books and searching for original clothes from WW1. The costumes on Downtown were wonderful and it has been a joy to watch again. I visited the Imperial War Museum for the first time and spent a day looking at the collections and in the research library, the V&A collection was also a huge inspiration and a place I love to spend time.
images: top Downton Abbey,
bottom row from the left V&A collection, Downton Abbey & vintage photograph.
I hope to be able to show photographs of the collection I made, the actors start rehearsing next week and I can't wait to see them in action.