It's made up of half square triangles, 5 1/4 inch squares bace. I have found starch is by far the best solution to stop any bias movement, it's the first time I have used with method and loved it. Used 100% cotton quilt batting from Macculloch & Wallis and also quilted with 40 weight cotton thread. I found the backing at Fabrics Galore, although sadly no photograph. The binding was made up of all the left over fabrics, joined in a chain and trimmed to 2.5inches wide. I loved the super scrappy look and it worked really well, again no pics as yet because the little boy arrived and I had to bind, washed and tumbled dry the quilt - gifted the same day!
I tested a quilt pattern by a friend at London Modern Quilt Guild, Carina it's a quilting project inside Carina's new e-book Poplar Bear Country. Carina called it the iceberg quilt and as I chose a range of sugary pastels my daughter christened the quilt #sodafloat. I made it for a friend who is expecting a baby very soon and there's nothing like a deadline to consentrate the mind and sewing schedule.
Headed out to the Village Haberdashery in West Hampstead for the Kona Solids and setabout making the quilt. It is built up in blocks that are really cleverly made and grows quite simply, I managed to make the top up in 2 evenings after work. Found the quilt batting at MacCulloch & Wallis and also bought a pure cotton 40 weight thread in a lovely icy pastel purple.
The backing and binding are from Tikki London, so love the contrast of the backing to the front and the stripe worked really well as a binding. I did waver when it came to the quilting style and so delighted with the way the circular quilting worked out. I steamed the backing with a warm iron onto the batting and then steam pressed the top, pinned and it really helped to keep the 3 layers together with no puckering at all. It has now flown out and been recieved ready for the new arrival! If you like the pattern do have a look over at Carina's shop and if you are outside the EU here's a link to buy the book.
I used a water proof fabric I had from my old job, after we cleared the studio - no idea what it is - would have been used to make snow boarding clothes many years ago. To begin with I quilted the whole fat quarter quite heaverly and then cut out my pieces. The gusset was cut and I inserted the zip before constructing the bag. The lining as handsewn in afterwards, as I found that the quickest and easiest way.
Delighted with how it worked and Ms T loves it.
I managed to get this quilt made quite quickly given all the work I have on at the moment. It's heading to my cousin who is recovering from surgery due to a horrible cancer. Now she has recovered from the initial surgery, the chemo has begun and I thought a quilt would be something she could curl up under and give some comfort and give her a hug from me even though we live so far apart.
The main fabrics I bought from Janet Claire at The Festival of Quilts, blues are A's favorite colours to wear and Janet's fabrics are so lovely - so from a 10' layer cake of Aubade and a solid dark blue from Doughty's also bought at FoQ. After a little indecision, I chopped into each square and went from there.
Once the quilt top was made I added a border to 2 sides, just to make it a little larger and then found a great cross hatch fabric at Fabrics Galore for the backing. For the quilting I decided to follow one of the cross lines and ended up using washi tape to have a line to follow. Five lines of stitching, to mirror the five rows or squares width. Once I had finished I hand embroiderd a qulit lable and now just need to post it off.